I’ve been mostly sewing button up shirts lately, but haven’t been able to share them with you without a tripod to take photos. I finally bit the bullet and bought one, so now you can enjoy my awkward poses when I have no one to direct me.
This is my latest creation, the Muna and Broad Waikerie Shirt. I actually made the long sleeve version of this shirt first in a lovely linen/cotton blend, and enjoyed wearing it so much I wanted to make another.
In particular, I wanted to make a short sleeve shirt in a watermelon print to match my friend Andie – and luckily enough, I had a watermelon print cotton in my stash from the op shop.*
As there was only 1.6m of the fabric, with a sizeable chunk already cut out, I had my work cut out for me making the pattern pieces. It was a tight game of Pattern Tetris, but I got there in the end – I only have one yoke, pieces together a facing and cut some small pieces across grain, but hey! I did it.
The cutting out was the difficult part. Muna and Broad instructions are so easy to follow that this shirt came together in a few hours.
My brief for this project was Daggy Dad Shirt, and I think I fulfilled it completely.
I realised I made these pants ages ago and never posted them – they are the Common Stitch Loungewear Set from Peppermint Sewing School. I love a free pattern, and with the $1 tan coloured drill from the op shop, this was a very affordable make.
Pattern: Muna and Broad Waikerie Shirt
Pattern details: “The Waikerie Shirt is designed for options! Interchangeable pattern pieces allow you to mix and match finishes. View A is a cropped, boxy shirt with a back yoke. View B and View C feature an inverted box pleat at the back and a high-low hem with beautifully finished, mitred side splits. View C is a collarless view with a high-low hem. All views feature a dropped shoulder and forward yoke seam, and Views A and B include a faced soft collar that can be buttoned up or left open for a relaxed vibe. All views can be sewn with a short sleeve that uses our unique sleeve band application, or with a long sleeve that features a hidden placket and a generous pleat at the wrist.” Sizes A-M (bust 102-162cm), can be custom sized up for free.
Fabric: 1.66 x 112cm wide watermelon spots and stripes cotton, with a rectangle cut out so slightly less meterage than specified. From Salvo’s, originally from Spotlight.
Other materials: Sheerweft interfacing. 15mm plastic buttons, from stash.
Mods: Size B
– 1/2″ forward head adjustment
– Shortened back hem slightly, so it was only a few cms longer than front (rather than being much longer as the pattern drafted). This was due to fabric shortage
– Only cut one yoke, and cut collar and sleeve bands against grain due to fabric shortage
– Added 1cm width to side seam pieces at side seam split, to nothing at underarm (4cm added all around)
Pattern: Common Stitch Loungewear Set (Pants)
Pattern details: “There’s no better time like the present than to sit back and relax in some luxurious linen loungewear! Designed as part of the loungewear set with the Robe Jacket, the top features built-in sleeves, a scoop back hem and neck facings. The pants are a 7/8 length with wide hems, deep pockets and an elasticated waist.” Free PDF download from Peppermint Magazine Sewing School. Sizes A-K (hip 87-132cm).
Fabric: 2.7m x 115cm wide polyester drill-like fabric in a warm brown, from op shop. Piece of old sheet for pocket lining.
Other materials: Vilene bias tape, iron on, to stabilise pocket curve. 38mm high density elastic, from Ebony Crafts.
Mods: Size F
– Added 17cm length to hem for full length pants, not 3/4. Sewed hem at 4cm, not 5cm for an extra 1cm length.
– Took 4cm height from waist (pant legs and pockets) for separate waistband. This was to allow for casing insertion and to prevent pants pockets becoming part of casing which I find annoying.
– Drafted separate waistband for elastic casing, width of waist x 11cm for 38mm elastic and 1cm seam allowances. Pieced due to fabric shortages.
– Embiggened pocket (both opening and bag) as they would have been too small for hands.
– Smoothed side seam curve at hip to hem particularly on back, which had an odd shape not matching front.
*Weirdly enough, I’ve made an Archer Shirt in this fabric before. That time, the fabric came from a BSS group on Facebook. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it in the op shop!