The second in my “I made this months years ago and only had the energy to post about it now” seriesis this knitted saddle shoulder jumper. I’d wanted to knit a saddle shoulder jumper for a while, but never found the right pattern. Seeing as I alter most patterns I use beyond recognition anyway, I figured it was the right time to just draft the damn thing myself.
This was an interim knit, made in April while deciding which jumper to knit this winter. And what better interim knit than a hat? I’ve made plenty of berets, cloches and caps before (see my Hats tag or Ravelry projects page for more), but my hat wardrobe was conspicuously lacking in beanies. So I turned to Kelbourne Woolens’ free hat pattern, the February Hat.
I’m no knitting mastermind, but I do feel I have a solid grasp of the craft, moreso than sewing. I’ve been knitting since I was 14 years old, and am confident that I can interpret most patterns in a way that suits me. So when I come across a knitting conundrum I’m always eager to learn more.
When I shared my Pyukkleen cowl with you last week, I mentioned I’d do a separate post on choosing colours cos it was a PROCESS. So here I am, about to give you terrible advice for choosing colours when I have zero understanding of colour theory.
It’s winter here, which means I have a shit ton of hand knits to share with you. My latest creation is the Pyukkleen cowl, from Ysolda Teague’s Knitworthy. I’ve knitted so many garments from Knitworthy now that it has its own tag, and Ysolda patterns make up the bulk of my knitted projects. What can I say, I know what I like. Continue reading “Pyukkleen”
It was only a few weeks ago that I shared my Strokkur jumper with you….and now I have another one! You might recall that although I loved the fit and design of the Strokkur jumper, the Lopi yarn I knitted it with was just too scratchy for my liking. So I sold that one, and promptly knitted another.
Sometimes it takes a bit of ordinary wear to fully iron out the kinks of a project, and that’s exactly what happened with my Bronwyn jumper. The ribbed neckband, which seemed just right before blocking, stretched out to a more open neck after a good soak. Continue reading “Rethinking Brownyn”
Now that winter has well and truly arrived, I’m enjoying being snuggled up inside with my knitting. I’ve already shared some garments I knitted last year (Bronwyn and Strokkur), so here are my knitting plans for this winter.
Last I wrote about my Bronwyn jumper, it was destined for the frog pond. With so many issues I couldn’t face ripping and reknitting the sleeves yet again, nor doing the calculations to make them fit the seamed yoke shaping, particularly not in a complex cable pattern. It took some time away for me to realise I couldn’t give up that close to finishing, so I put on my patternmaker hat, finished the sleeve maths and then the jumper itself, an exact year after casting on.